****** ARCTIC FUSION SIBERIANS ******

HOME ALL ABOUT US THANK YOU BUYERS BEWARE PURCHASE POLICIES DELIVERY INFO APPLICATION WHELPING BOX The ARCTIC FUSION Pack BREED HISTORY 1932 AKC STANDARD DANGERS OF SWIMMING PHOTOS GALLERY CONTACT US COPYRIGHT GUEST BOOK LINKS MORE LINKS INTERNAL/EXTERNAL PARASITES BLOG

DANGERS OF SWIMMING

If you want to take you dog swimming, please be aware of the dangers of blue-green algae.  IT IS TOXIC!  It can and will kill your dog.  Know what to look for and the symptoms.  If at all in question, avoid that body of water.

THERE IS NO KNOWN ANTIDOTES!

BLUE-GREEN ALGAE is not always BLUE-GREEN.  It can be green, yellow, brown, or even red!  So, do not let the name be deceiving.  Toxicity can occur either in the LIVER of the dog that ingested the ALGAE or in the NERVOUS system.

SYMPTOMS

Signs of BLUE-GREEN ALGAE TOXICITY in the LIVER may include the following:

Weakness/Lethargy

Pale Mucus Membranes

Bloody Diarrhea

Mental Instability

Death

CLICK  on any picture for more information.

BLUE-GREEN ALGAE IN WATER

  • BLOOMS can occur at any time, but most often in late summer or early fall.  They can occur in marine, estuarine, and fresh waters, but the blooms of greatest concern are the ones that occur in fresh water, such as drinkging reservoirs or recreational waters. 
  • SOME Cyanobacterial blooms can look like foam, scum, or even mats on the surface of fresh water lakes and ponds.  The blooms can be blue, bright green, brown, or red, and may look like paint floating on the water.  Some blooms may not affect the appearance of the water.  As algae in a cyanobacterial bloom die, the water may smell bad.
  • SOME Cyanobacterial that can form CyanoHABs (Harmful Algae Blooms) produce toxins that are among the most powerful natural poisons known. 
  • THESE TOXINS HAVE NO KNOWN ANTIDOTES.
  • SWALLOWING WATER that has Cyanobacterial toxins in it can cause acute, severe gastroenteritis, (including diarrhea and vomiting).
  • LIVER TOXICITY (i.e. increased serum levels of liver enzymes)  Symptoms of liver poisoning may tale hours or days to show up in people or animals.
  • Symptoms include abdominal pain, diarrhea, and vomiting.
  • KIDNEY TOXICITY
  • NEUROTOXICITY.  These symptoms can appear within 15 to 20 minutes after exposure.  In dogs, the neurotoxins can cause salivation and other neurologic symptoms, including weakness, staggering, difficulity breathing, convulsions, and death.  People may have numb lips, tingling fingers and toes, and/or they may feel dizzy. Taken from the USDAC site www.usdac.org/index  
  • It can be there one day and gone the next.
  • If in doubt do not let your dog swim there.  It is better to be SAFE than SORRY!

Sign of BLUE-GREEN ALGAE TOXICITY in the NERVOUS system may include the following:

Muscle Tremors

Convulsions

Labored Breathing

Difficulty Moving

Death

Dogs develop toxicity from ingestion of the ALGAE.  This can come from the dog drinking the water or even accidentally ingesting it from licking their hair after a day of swimming.

If you think your dog has been poisoned by BLUE-GREEN ALGAE get them to your VET IMMEDIATELY!

There is no way to treat this at home by yourself. It can be the difference between LIFE and DEATH!

All material, url, pictures, pedigrees, and contents on this website are COPYRIGHTED.  No materials can be reproduced, copied or linked too.   NO permission is given to copy links or reproduce any material written, url, pictures, pedigrees, or content on this website.  

ALL VIOLATORS WILL BE PROSECUTED!    ©Copyright 2001-2014